Solidarity With Sardar Buta Singh
Buta Singh, once a very powerful man. Well educated learned and knowledgeable man. Good administer. Kind and large hearted. A tall walking King Lion.
Was Home Minister then in Govt of India. Was close to the then Prime Minister of India. Envy of many other Leaders in the ruling party as well as those in the opposition. Not accessible then to most of the People. Today he stands indicted.
The Head Line in a popular News Paper in Delhi on Saturday, the 30th September screamed in big bold letters -
Convicted: Rao, Buta of bribing MPs.
We produce here some of the relevant extracts from the Paper -
New Delhi, September 29
A Special Court here today convicted former Prime Minister PV Narasimha Rao, and Buta Singh a Cabinet Colleague of his at the time, in the muti-crore MPs bribery case.
The Special Judge found them guilty of bribing four Jharkahand Mukti Morcha MPs to help Rao's minority Congress Government survive a no- confidence motion on 29th July 1993.
Their offences carry a maximum punishment of seven years and a minimum of six moths in jail.
The judge fixed 11th October to hear arguments on the quantum of sentence to be awarded to the duo.
The CBI chargesheet said Buta Singh had played a key role in arranging the money to be paid to the MPs. He went to Bangalore to arrange for the money 'and returned to Delhi with the then CM one other Minister of the State Govt, and a Business Barron of Karnataka,' the court was told.
At 2:45 pm, the judge took his seat, and pronounced his verdict, with no introduction or reference -
"Since there is clinching evidence against Rao and Singh, both of them are convicted. As for the rest, since there is no evidence against them, they are acquitted" the judge stated.
The court acquitted, for lack of evidence, nine persons: former Union Ministers, Chief Ministers, Ministers in the States, MPs and Business Tycoons.
The court had also dicharged four JMM MPs and nine MPs of Lok Dal headed by Ajit Singh who were accused of having recieved the bribes to save the Rao Govt.
The nine who escaped unscathed in this afternoon's explosive verdict, could easily have found themselves in the dock, facing a similar verdict. But, - CBI the Central Bureau of Investigation bailed them out by giving them a 'clean chit' and stating that it had no evidence against them.
In March, while giving a clean chit to the nine others accused in the case, the Special Public Prosecutor had informed the court that the agency had clinching evidence for the conviction of Rao and Singh, but lacked 'sufficient evidence' on record against the other accused.
Later, in a quick reversal of its statement, the agency filed a fresh synopsis stating that it had sufficient evidence not only against former Prime Minister PV Narasimha Rao and his erstwhile Cabinet Colleague Buta Singh, but also against the other accused.
THE GRAPE VINE has the following -
1. The brahmins, PV Narasimha Rao and AB Vajpayee having been hand in gloves with each other for long, would be bailed out ultimately leaving only Buta Singh in the gallows.
2. In the end only Sardar Buta Singh would be fixed. For,
a) He is a SC Dalit Sikh
3. If there is clinching evidence against Sardar Buta Singh for bribing the MPs, and in playing a key role in arranging the money, why did the CBI initially gave a 'clean chit' to those who raised mobilised brought and gave the money to Buta Singh? Why did the court also discharge them, instead of pulling up the CBI?
4. Why the Law of the Land that generally punishes only those who demand recieve and accept bribe, and not those who pay the bribe, had taken an about turn in this case? Is this to punish in the end only Sardar Buta Singh?
5. The role played by BJP, AB Vajpayee and for their walkout in the Parliament, to make no-confidence motions infructious, and defeat them much before voting is being carefully kept hidden away from any discussions. Only the ST Dalit MPs of JMM had been hauled up over the burning coals. And the nine near backward and backward MPs of Ajit Singh, though harassed by this case, were spared all along, and were in the end let off to go scot free. If these are not stage managed dramas and a mockery of Justice, what else could these be? When will the SC&ST Dalits get any semblance of Justice in this wretched fossilised caste infected society?
6. If the backroom drama of survival of PV's Govt, in a clear case of Voting in the Parliament can lead to the conviction of the then PM and his Cabinet Colleague, why is the Judiciary right upto the Supreme Court sitting idle to the Murder of Democracy and clear violations of all cannons of Law and Justice in UP? Why are they all allowing that illegal Govt to exist, function and exercise powers over the People in the State? No conscience? Or Manu's logic - brahmin crimes can not be questioned or lead to any indictments and or punishments?
We appeal to all men and women of conscience to look into this case, debate, discuss and send your opinions and views to any authority you may feel.
Editor - Dalit India
NOTE : Dear Friends - Please adopt the following draft letter appropriately to suit your own taste style and language. Add or subtract any Questions or Points that you may feel appropriate. Let us all flood all known News Papers in India and the World!
Let us also write to the President of India, Vice-President, PM, all Ministers, all Chief Ministers, Chief Justice of India, and Chief Justices of all High Courts in India.
Let us also bring these to the kind attention of all heads of States in the World and Human Rights Organisations - under the Caption - THIS HAPPENS TO SC&ST DALITS IN INDIA IN THE YEAR 2000.
Please send this mail to the following email ids.
Mr/Mrs/Miss Xxxxxx Yyyyyyy Zzzzzzzz
This has reference to the Press Reports on the Court Verdict yesterday and the Press Reporting by the Daily News Papers, about the Verdict against Rao and Sardar Buta Singh in JMM Bribery Case.
What is happening in India?
What really India is today?
What had gone wrong with the Indian Society these days?
Why are the Courts so selective, selectively decides cases, and selectively punishes the guilty?
Why is that only two had been hauled up?
Is this a prelude to let out Rao also - saying, he then as PM of the Country was a man too busy to indulge in petty crimes like bribing?
Is this a deliberate and cleverly vieled ploy to fix only Sardar Buta Singh in the end?
Is this because he is a Minority, being a Sikh?
Is this because he is, cumulatively marginalised as a Sikh, as a Minority, as an individual Sikh persecuted with-in the Minority Sikh Community itself, and finally perhaps as a Scheduled Caste?
Is he being deliberately victimised, prosecuted specially specifically and selectively for reasons not being recorded, spoken or revealed publicly?
Are there not too many loop-holes in this case?
Is not the Judgement flawed on too many counts?
1. If there is clinching evidence against Sardar Buta Singh for bribing the MPs, and in playing a key role in arranging the money, why did the CBI(which incidentally sounds as usual a Copy - here FBI of America) initially gave a 'clean chit' to those who raised mobilised arranged brought and gave the money in the first place to Buta Singh? Why did the court also discharge them all, instead of pulling up the CBI?
2. Why the Law of the Land that generally punishes those who demand recieve and accept bribe, and not those who pay the bribe, had taken an about turn in this case? Is this to punish in the end only Sardar Buta Singh?
3. When the CBI and the Court knows the recipients of the money, and the back accounts in which the money had gone, why have they all been let go scot free?
4. Supreme Court only said that the actions of the MPs within the Parliament - what they spoke whom they voted and what they did there can not be questioned. Why can't they be punished for recieving the bribes? Hope the CBI and the Court do not believe the Bribe was payed and recieved by the MPs in Parliament!
5. If the Bribe was payed and recieved by the MPs in the Parliament, it could be right that they could not be penalised! And so also Buta Singh on the allegation that he paid the Bribes!!
6. Why then the Recipients JMM and all Ajit Singh's MPs and Ajit Singh himself as recipients and holders of Bribe Money and the Bank Accounts where the Money was deposited, not been prosecuted?
7. Why only JMM MPs were arrested and sent to jail in this case, and not Ajit Singh and his MPs who are equally guilty of the same crimes, particularly when the JMM MPs were held guilty and arrested?
8. Was it because the JMM MPs were all Scheduled Tribes?
9. Was it because the Courts always have prejudices against the SC&ST Dalits, and this Court was no exception?
10. Was the Judge in this case biased and prejudiced against STs and SCs?
11. Was and Is the Judge in this case, under pressure from the Govt, Parties and others from outside the Court to prosecute and punish ultimately only JMM Tribal MPs and Buta Singh - a Sikh SC Leader, while caste hindu Ajit Singh and his other MPs were let go off free?
12. Was the arrest of JMM Tribal MPs not an indication of planned selective attrocity against them for being Tribals?
13. Why the roles played by BJP, AB Vajpayee and his big flock of MPs for their walkout in the Parliament, to make no-confidence motions infructious, and defeat them much before votings are being carefully kept hidden away from any discussions?
14. Why only the ST Dalit MPs of JMM had been hauled up over the burning coals?
15. Why the nine near backward and backward MPs of Ajit Singh, though harassed by this case, were spared all along, and were in the end let off to go scot free?
16. Are these not stage managed dramas and a mockery of Justice? If not what else could these be?
17. When will the SC&ST Dalits get any semblance of Justice in this wretched caste infected fossilised society of India?
18. If the backroom drama of survival of PV's Govt, in a clear case of Voting in the Parliament can lead to the conviction of the then PM and his Cabinet Colleague, why is the Judiciary right upto the Supreme Court sitting idle for so long, watching the Murder of Democracy and clear violations of all cannons of Law and Justice in UP?
19. Why are the brahmin baniya Courts all allowing the illegal Govt in UP to exist, function and exercise powers over the People in the State?
20. Is there No Conscience left with the manuwadi Courts and the Press?
21. Is Manu's logic - brahmin crimes can not be questioned or lead to any indictments and or punishments - operating openly these days in Sangh Parivar India, manuwadi Courts, and Ekalavyan India and Shambuk's India?
Hope you will have some time to read and the freedom to publish this letter!
(Mr/Mrs/Miss abcd efgh)